Search This Blog


July 13, 2012  Kalinin Bay

     Stayed the day in Kalinin Bay while we waited for the weather system to move through. When we woke up this morning we found the converted 1952 mine-sweeper Liseron anchored in the bay,  which is now a high end charter boat. Had a leisurely day as we waited for calmer weather as we need to head out several miles offshore into the ocean tomorrow as we head up North along the Khaz Peninsula of Chichagof Island. This will be my first time sailing out into the ocean and I’m excited and a little scared.
     Spent the day pouring over the charts to determine our path (thru Piehle passage or around) and various anchorage possibilities for tomorrow night. Pete also taught me how to put on a survival suit and two whipping styles (one for braided line and the other for three stranded line).  Kelsey and Peter rowed up a stream and saw three grizzlies eating grass but I stayed on board. I just love to hang with Privateer.


Pete demonstrating how to put on the survival suit.


Huh? I have to zip up with crab claws?

Pete helping with the last few inches.

Pete and Kelsey


Kelsey and I learning to whip line ends.


Bear pic by Kelsey



Going for a row.

Liseron, an old converted mine sweeper 






No comments:

Post a Comment